Windows Vista Build 5381 Hardware Compatibility List
For our latest results, check out the current listing.
This entry shall enable all ieXwiki members to create a list of hardware that will work with Vista Beta Build 5381, or won't work, so that it's possible to check that even before installation.
However, for our software compatiblity results, please see this alternative listing.
- An italic entry denotes a piece of hardware that was reported to work previously, but is unconfirmed for this particular build.
Therefore, new entries should generally NOT be italicized.
- Please mention if it applies to the 32-Bit or the 64-Bit Build!
- Please remove the italic font from entries if it is still working with this build!
- Please post in the right section. Don't just add a "is working this very way" to the not-working list but rather move it to the right section and then add your notes.
- ATI Mobility Radeon 200M
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- ATI Mobility Radeon X700, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- ATI Radeon 9000/9100
- ATI Radeon 9550SE 256MB, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- ATI Radeon 9600Pro, 128MB
- ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- ATI Radeon X700Pro, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- ATI Radeon X800XT, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (32 Bit)
- Intel 82845G (i845G) WDM in Windows updates or get WIN2K_XP14103.ZIP from Intel's site then "Update" in device manager for the "win2000" directory
- NVIDIA GeForce 3 [ driver 66.93 ] (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX-440 128 MB
- NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX-440 64 MB
- NVIDIA GeForce 4 TI 4200
- NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 64MB and 128MB, Glass automatically activated.(32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX5600 128MB and 256MB, Glass automatically activated.(32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce FX5700 128MB, Glass automatically activated.(32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Version 75.03, (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 256MB, (WDDM, Glass automatically activated) (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB (Drivers included with 5270), Glass automatically activated. (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT (Preinstalled Drivers sans LDWM, as well as Version 75.03 for LDWM, (32 Bit)
- Asus Extreme Radeon x600xt/hdtv, Glass automatically activated
- Asus x300SE 128MB, Glass automaticaly activated
- ATI Radeon X800GTO, Glass automatically activated (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB (Glass automatically activated)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (Preinstalled Drivers, as well as Version 75.03), SLI not available yet (32 Bit)
- VM Additions S3 Trio32/64 (Virtual PC Additions, LDDM not Supported) (32 bit)
- Adaptec Ultra320 ZCR 2010S / 2015S (32 Bit), Need to load driver (XP and 2003 drivers both work) during installation. Driver can be downloaded from Adaptec
- Adaptec 29160 U160 SCSI Controller, see above
- Intel 82801DB - will freeze if using small hard disk (5.1GB) or conflict in master/slave jumper settings. Set to PIO mode/disable DMA
- Intel ICH4 (32 Bit)
- Intel ICH5R
- NVIDIA nForce 4 - Serial ATA Controller (SATA/RAID)
|- installs without external(?) drivers for some. |- nForce4 SLI Intel Edition in Dell XPS doesn't install. |- for some the XP32 and XP64 drivers function if loaded with the Vista setup started from WinXP.
- Promise 20276 raid drivers ( jellow mark and after many reboots.. it works )
- Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATA RAID controller (need to use XP driver)
- Canon SD500
- Canon ZR60-70 Series
- Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX (32 bit)
- Nikon Coolpix 3200
- Dell Optical Mice
- Logitech MX-300
- Logitech MX500
- Logitech MX1000 w/ SetPoint software [Install with XP Compatiblity Mode]
- Logitech Elite Keyboard
- Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard
- Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard + Mouse (natively supported + multimedia keys assigned!)
- Synaptics Touchpads (32 bit) [NOTE: tested with driver v7.10.2 and 7.10.14. Install driver using windows xp compatibility. known problem: configuration not accessible through systray icon, use control panel => Mouse]
- TV WONDER ELITE -- Work Perfectly -- ATI Wonder elite drivers
- Hauppage WinTV/FM PCI - drivers available on Windows Update (Vista 5381) (32 bit)
- CM9880/8CH Azalia Audio CODEC onboard (found on ASUS boards) - basic microsoft UAA function driver installed by Vista works but misses soundinput. Install latest ASUS/C-Media software (set compatibility mode to XP for the installer) > reboot > set multiple streams enabled > switch input from microphone to wave and back > reboot
- Creative Audigy (standard) -- No built-in support, but it works with beta drivers from Creative's site.
- Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum -- Works with Beta drivers from Creative's site (BSOD after installing on reboot, then fine)
- Creative Audigy 2 - Works with Beta drivers from Creative's site.
- Creative SoundBlaster Live! Series. Works with special drivers found here http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=20 (32 Bit) (does not work with gamer mode, nothing gets installed) Instead, download the WinXP driver, run it (it will say and error message, don't press OK yet, go to (for example C:\Users\a\AppData\Local\Temp\CRF000\Audio\Drivers\WIN2K_XP) and in device manager click "update driver" and use that path.
- Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value (WDM) from Optional Windows Updates. (Mic in dosen't work (no sound), can't select default recording device)
- Creative SounBlaster 2 Platinum Vista beta drivers found on www.creative.com (please tell me the filename?)
- ECHO AUDIO - INDIGO DJ - OK but with strange routing in virtual outputs
- Intel 8x0 AC97 (32 bit)
- MSI Neo4 SLI Onboard Sound (CL 7.1) - Version: 22.214.171.1246, (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA nForce2 on board sound - manually install drivers - , (5.04)
- NVIDIA nForce3 (Realtek ALC850) - drivers obtained from windows update. (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA nForce4 sound card - Version: 4.64, (32 Bit)
- Realtek Mobile HD Audio on Travelmate 8200
- SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio (Tested with ASUS P4S800 Motherboard) - Needs latest drivers available to work correctly, otherwise install chipset drivers for AGP and IDE. Sound may skip and studder if not using the latest driver set.
- Terratec 5.1 Fun PCI - sound works, controlpanel doesnt work (32bit)
- Terratec DMX 6Fire
- 3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller, works immediately (32bit)
- 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100 Ethernet Card. (32 Bit)after driver installation (32 Bit)This card don`t work propertly... Installation of drivers doesn`t help %(
- Aopen nForce2 network driver (Vista 5308 automatically detects it)
- Asus WL-138g / Asus 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Card after driver installation (32 Bit)
- Compaq WLAN Multiport W200 Built-In Wireless - [Download WinXP Pro drivers from Compaq]
- Davicom 9102 Fast Ethernet Adapter (32 Bit)
- Intel WLAN 2100 (32 Bit) Version: 126.96.36.199 Note: No PROSet Utility
- Intel IPW 2100AB (32 Bit)
- Intel IPW 2200BG (32 Bit)
- Intel IPW 3945ABG (32 Bit) (Acer Travelmate 8200-series)
- Intel Gigabit Lan (E7501 / E7505 / E7525 / i875 Chipset) (32 Bit)
- Intel D875BZLK PRO/1000 Network card [works for the first time in this build]
- Marvel GB Lan after driver installation (32 Bit)
- Marvel Wifi after driver installation (32 Bit)
- Netgear WG311T Wireless (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA nForce4 Network card - Natively supported - Version: 5.04, (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA nForce4 Network card - Natively supported - Version: 5.04, (64 Bit)
- Realtek RTL8139 (32 Bit) !!does not work!!
- SiS 900 Based Ethernet Adapters Drivers ok, hardware will not start.
- SMC EZ Card PCI 10 (SMC 1208) (32 Bit)
- Xircom Realport RBEM56G-100(32 Bit)
Printer / Scanner
- Brother HL1450 Laser Printer (All other HL Series Laser printers should work) | 32 Bit Tested
- Canon PiXMA iP1500
- Canon i350
- Dell 922 Photo All-in-One
- Hewlett Packard Officejet K80i
- Lexmark C510 PS
- Epson Stylus Color 760 (USB only tested | All other Epson Stylus Color printers should work)
Product series supported:
Radeon 9500, 9550, 9600, 9650, 9700, 9800, X300, X600, X700, X800, X850 FireGL X1, X2, X3, Z1, T2, V3100, V3200, V5000, V5100, V7100 FireMV 2200 Mobility Radeon 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800, X300, X600, X700, X800 Mobility FireGL V3100, V3200, V5000, V5100 Radeon Xpress 200, 200M
NVIDIA nForce 3/4 Network Card NVIDIA nForce 3/4 Sound Card
Product series supported: (Complete List)
GeForceFX 5 Series:
5100, 5200, 5200SE, 5200 Ultra, 5500, 5600, 5600 Ultra, 5600SE, 5600XT, 5700, 5700VE, 5700 Ultra, 5800, 5800 Ultra, 5900, 5900 Ultra, 5900XT, 5900ZT, 5950 Ultra, PSX 5300, PSX 5750, PSX 5900
GeForce 6 Series:
6600GT, 6600LE, 6800, 6800GT, 6800LE, 6800 Ultra
GeForce 7 Series:
540, 1000, 1100, 1300, 1400, 3000, 3000G, 3400, 4000SDI, 4400, NVS 280 PCI
Has problems, but can be solved
- ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - Only works with the default VGA driver of Windows. 5308 LDDM gives black screen on reboot.
- ATI Radeon X700 Pro AGP Have problem with black screen when installing LDDM driver
- ATI Radeon X800 XL only work in 640x480 resolution with the LDDM driver (32/64 Bit PCIe)
- ATI Radeon X800 XT PE Have problem with black screen when installing LDDM driver
- ATI Radeon X1800XT only work with VGASAVE driver of Windows with all resolutions but not at all with the LDDM drive (Vista 64 Bit)\
- A8V Promise Raid controller with SATA works. (Need to enable raid only if one HD is installed)
- A8V Promise Via Raid controller dont works. (could not get information)
- Intel ICH5R - Modify the RAID drivers so they are on the root of the disk, not inside any directories (32 Bit)
- NVIDIA nForce4 manuelle Installation WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.34/5.35 (32 Bit)
- Belkin F5D7050 V2 Wireless USB Stick - WPA does NOT work. Belkin Software/Service does NOT work.
Note: The described problems may apply to any wireless adaptor that uses the Ralink RT2500 chipset.
- NVIDIA nForce2 (32 Bit) Version: 6.14 [NOTE: Disable IDE and GART options during installation]
Been tested on Aopen, ASUS, & MSI nForce2 and NOT compatible with 5219!
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS, seems to work in device manager but the sound is bad (32 Bit) [NOTE: Works with special drivers found [here ] (32 Bit)
I installed NGO Creative Modded Driver for SB Live! and Audigy (ngocmd.exe). Sounds bad until I changed the default sound quality from 16bit to 24bit 48000hz.
Heavy problems / currently incompatible
- NVIDIA nForce4 AMD RAID controller unrecognized (64 Bit)
Printer / Scanner
- Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart 1350
- Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart 7350
- Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (doesn't work)
- Buffalo High Power 802.11g Wireless PCMCIA Card - Installs with alternate driver, but refuses to see networks or connect.
- Fritz!Card DSL - ISDN works ok
- Intel Pro/1000 MT Mobile Adapter - Connects and pings, but refuses to browse the net in IE7, Firefox
- Netgear USB WG111 - No built-in support, and WinXP drivers don't work either
- Creative Audigy EX Works with preview driver for X64 but comes with at gameport device for installtion every time on boot
- Creative Audigy 2 ES, seems to work with build 5231 drivers. Very frequent scratching noises while playing audio. (32 Bit)
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum / Pro -- Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (32 bit) [NOTE: This driver no longer works as user receives error "Parameter is incorrect." during the installation!]'
- CMedia CMI9739a (onboard) ***got it to work with AC97NT4.zip drivers*** (have to manually install though)
- Creative Sound Blaster 16 ISA (32 bit) - Not Supported
- Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (32 Bit) * Updated* See Sound Card section above.
- ESI-PRO Waveterminal 192X - full incompatible (E-WDM drivers model)
I installed NGO Creative Modded Driver for SB Live! and Audigy (ngocmd.exe). Sounds bad until i changed the default sound quality from 16bit to 24bit 48000hz
- NVIDIA nForce2 onboard soundcard - not supported, windows update install working driver after update(32 bit)
- Terratec SixPack 5.1 (based on Crystal SoundFusion CS461x) (32 Bit)
- Terratec Aureon Space 7.1 - No sound, unable to set the format on the controller, whice solved the problem for the VIA Envy24 driver. The VIA Envy24 driver isn't working on either Vista or XP, even throug the card is build on this chip.
- Terratec Aureon Universe 7.1 - Heavy routing problems. Only the "Mic" and "LineIn Front" signal make it to the speakers. (32 Bit & 64 bit)
- Hauppauge WinTV Nova (32 Bit)
- Hauppauge Nexus-CA (32 Bit)
- Hauppauge WinTV GO-PLUS
- TerraTec Cinergy 400 TV (32 Bit) Remote Control dosent work and Cinergy TV hangs often up. DScaler doesnt start
- TV Pinnacle Studio PCTV USB - doesn't install
- Sweex USB Webcam 100K - driver install fails : not enough storage available ?
- ATK0110 ASUS overclocking ACPI device - doesn't want to install drivers.
How to add hardware
If your hardware isn't automatically detected and installed by Vista, the first option is to find Vista-built drivers, which are in short supply.
The next method is to use compatability mode to run the driver installation program in "Windows XP" mode. If that fails/does not install ...
Extract or browse to the folder with the .inf files (driver files) for the device, select every .inf file, and right click Install them. After the process has finished, use Device Manager to install by navigating to the .inf files' location and going through them until you find one that is detected. If none work, then tough luck. You'll just have to wait until the manufacturer updates the drivers.